Moving is always costly and for most of the people moving expenses add up fast which can lead to unnecessary stress when the budget is tight. There are some ways on how you can save money on moving and we are ready to share them with you.
This one might seem kinda obvious, but in reality when we are planning a local move there are a lot of details that can easily slip your mind. That is why you need to write everything down and make sure you plan every little thing that might be an expense. Make a detailed budget plan and try to stick to it as much as you can. It is not going to be correct in a dollar amount, but always find the best case scenario and the worst case scenario when it comes to moving budget.
- Decide whether is cheaper to use professional movers or to move on your own
Don’t think that moving on your own is going to be free. Both options have its cons and pros and that is why you have to think about what works the best for you. Moving with a moving company means that you will have the moving equipment and wrapping materials will be provided by them. If you are moving on your own, you will have to provide all of this on your own. Put it all on paper and make a decision.
- Declutter your home and sell what you don’t need
This is a good way to save some money while moving and maybe even earn. We can bet that you have a bunch of unwanted belongings that you should get rid of. Not only it will save you a lot of time (and movers are charging the hourly rates), but it is a good chance to organize a garage sale and cover some other expenses. Start with gathering unneeded items that are still valuable enough to sell. Some decisions are easier than others, like selling the television set that no one uses anymore. A garage sale is not the only way to sell unwanted belongings, you can always use online apps like Wallapop and OfferUp or list your items on a Facebook community of your neighborhood or website like Nextdoor.
- Saving money on packing supplies
In order to pack up your belongings safely, you can use supplies other than just packing boxes. For example, you can use kitchen towels to separate plates and other dishes. Use storage bins, suitcases and anything of that sort to pack up less fragile items. If you don’t have any, you will have to buy packing material, but you can buy used boxes on sites such as Craigslist.
- Choose your moving day wisely
When moving on a budget, it is always the best not to pick a certain date, but to be flexible so you can hear more about what your local movers can offer as a cheaper option. Some moving companies are charging more for relocations on weekends while some can offer discounts when moving on a weekday. Stay flexible and look around for your options.
- Don’t overbuy for your new home
Moving to another home is an exciting period of your life and it is completely understandable if you want to buy many interesting and pretty things that you will add to your household. It is easy to put everything in a cart and get many items that you might or might not need, but you need to stay on track when it comes to the moving budget. For the beginning, buy only necessities and then get the rest of the belongings later on. It is better to invest in professional movers and move all of your belongings safely to your new home rather than having new items.
- Avoid all pricey mistakes
When moving on a budget, you want to avoid making serious and expensive mistakes. It is easy to get carried away with many things to plan and keep in mind, but these are major slop-ups that might lead to spending way more money than you wanted.
- Accepting the first moving quotes without comparing to other local moving companies is number one on our list. You should always do your homework right and do proper research.
- Believe the least expensive estimate might cost you the most if they don’t have supplies, equipment and tools included in the price. Or if they have some hidden charges that you were not aware of when booking. That is why you should ask many additional questions and learn everything you can about their services and rates.
- Not reading your confirmation email that you should get from your local movers might lead to many misunderstandings, so make sure to read it carefully and to notify them in time if you want to change anything.
- Not hiring licensed and insured movers. In this case, if something gets damaged, your belongings won’t be protected. So make sure to find movers who will take care of your needs even if something goes wrong.
- Thinking that you can lift and carry your heavy furniture on your own, because it might lead to serious injuries, not only damages your belongings.